Saturday 12 January 2013

The 25 Percent Club

I haven't blogged in a while. Long story; quite a busy last few months of 2012 filled with stuff that wasn't right to write about. I thought about doing a retrospective 2012 blog post, but everyone seemed to be doing that and I'm not sure my reflections would add much. I also wasn't sure what my reflections were. 2012 was a funny old year.

Then this morning on twitter a discussion started prompted by this post  and the imperative to write came back to me in a hesitant, 'should I?' type way. So here I am. I'll type and, if you're reading this, its because I thought 'fuck it' and pressed the 'publish' button.

In February of last year I was working at home one afternoon, when a relatively innocuous email made me physically recoil from my laptop. My heart began rushing. I wanted the world to stop, go away, leave me in peace. It was too much and it was all pushing down on me. I began huge, racking, uncontrollable sobbing. Then, almost as a subconscious reflex, I picked up the phone and dialled my GP. He recognised in me the symptoms of what they tend to rather vaguely call "generalised anxiety disorder" and signed me off work. 

I'm not really going to get into the causes at this juncture. That's kind of not the point. My shitty experiences were no worse than other people's shitty experiences. I wasn't suffering from PTSD. Just your common or garden 'bursting into tears, feeling like there is a massive clamp on your lungs and that your heart might literally pop out of your chest' type disorder. 

You aren't meant to feel this way when you work in HR. You're meant to be 'together', 'resilient', 'robust'. You aren't meant to burst into frightened tears when you reach the road junction that takes you to your office. And yet, statistically, 25% of us do. 25% of people in any profession, walk of life or situation will be affected by mental health issues at some point in their life.

There. I've typed it. Mental Health. This post is the first time I've talked publicly about my own period of illness. I reckon if I had a broken leg I'd have been tweeting about it every day. You'd have had updates on Facebook. Heck, my leg would probably have had its own page. But what was 'broken' was my mind. Or at least that's how it felt at the time. And I know that that's how it was perceived by some people who I had to tell. Lorna was 'broken'. And that was a bit awkward. 

But it's how a lot of people view mental illness. They want to be understanding but, because there isn't a plaster cast they can sign, they don't really know how to behave around it. Certainly at work we aren't very good at managing it. We moan that someone has "Got themselves signed off with stress". Managers and colleagues often think because they can't 'see' it, then its not real. Or they make a value judgement about the person who is ill. I'm not sure I've ever heard a manager complain that someone who broke their leg playing Sunday League is unreliable and 'got themselves signed off sick', but you very often hear that in relation to mental illness. We don't get it. And if we don't get it, we can't respond properly to it. Which is wrong. And really stupid given the 25% statistic I mentioned earlier.

The way I see it now is this: I have a car. Its a fab little motor, well built and engineered, looks a bit quirky, good quality, strong resale value. But if I drive it for 20,000 miles without checking my tyres, or oil, or water I shouldn't be surprised if it breaks down on the A43. If it gets hit by another car and I don't take it to the body shop I shouldn't be surprised if it gets rusty. If I don't get the windscreen wipers fixed, get caught in a storm and crash 'cause I can't see where I'm going, then that too is no surprise. Of course, I might get lucky. Some of us have cars that we've reversed into lampposts, never checked the tyres, never top up with oil and they never crash or break down. But they are lucky. 

Some cars seem more pre-disposed to breaking down or crashing. My lovely old MG for example, my father-in-law's TR6. They're not bad cars. They just require more skilled maintenance, or a different fuel, or special parts.

It's not a perfect analogy but it suits me and it takes some of the emotion out of explaining why I was poorly early last year. I have a tendency to do things at 100mph, I'm quick away from the lights because I'm impatient, I can sometimes try to carry more than is sensible for my torque and the pace I like to move at. I benefit from slowing down and cruising at a sensible speed every so often. If I'm going to drive that fast and take corners like that I need to make sure my tyres are good. I need a pit-stop every few laps. 

I wasn't broken. I'm not unreliable. I'm not a bad person. I am (despite the car metaphor) human. I'm bloody good at my job and a pretty decent wife/aunt/friend/sister/daughter. I'm worth knowing, worth having around. I wasn't ready for the scrap-yard. I was just overdue a service. A member of the 25% Club. Like the MG Club, but with fewer newsletters and summer barbecues. 

I'm not sure what, if any, impact blogging about this will have. But reading the post on Alison's blog this morning made me think. Someone has to start talking about the 25% Club. There is a taboo. There is shame. And that is wrong. I'm not Spartacus, I'm not even close. But if, by telling my small story, it makes someone else feel less ashamed, or treat a colleague or employee or friend in a slightly more understanding way then I reckon that's not a bad job for a Saturday morning. 

10 comments:

  1. Hey Lorna, I just wanted to say well done for posting this! It was so very brave of you to do and I think you are an amazing person for helping to fight the stigma of mental health! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for blogging about this its only a taboo because people won't talk about it they are embarrassed or ashamed seeing it as a sign of weakness but it's not it's just a sign of someone who has been strong for a long time and needs a rest

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that you had the courage to post this. I have on occasion blogged about my own mental health issues but not quite to the extent that you have just done. You have inspired me.

    Also I wanted to say that some employers do handle mental health issues well. I have certainly found that in the case of my current employers.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear what you have been through, but it is posts like this that can help so many people. I have recently 'gone public' with my depression and my response has been phenomenal. I hope that things only get better for you! Feel free to check out my blogspot!

    Rivkah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I didn't really expect the kind of response I've had and I'm really touched. I don't see it as brave, I see it as necessary. More people just need to start talking is all.

    Thank you for reading & taking the time to comment. I'm touched.

    Rivkah - Thankyou for being so kind. I'm really well now but have learned that I need a regular service. I take better care of myself, am probably kinder to myself as a result of what happened last year. In that respect, I'm glad it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well it is brave and well done for hitting the publish button. The more people that talk about it...the more people that will. take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lorna, my work is all about treating people with chronic pain and although not widely recognised, nearly all chronic pain, (if it is not cancer, infection or an auto-immune disorder), is actually emotionally induced. It acts as an adapted 'fight and flight' response as a protective mechanism, often stopping someone from falling apart emotionally.

    So in other words, all those people you know who have back pain, RSI, Fibromyalgia, whiplash etc also actually have mental health problems. Unfortunately they don't know it and often even when they do they can't accept it because of this stigma about mental health. Shame though because full recovery is possible once they do accept it and then work on the underlying cause.
    So basically you are on of many more than 25%! Congratulations on your brave blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you had to write the blog, but I'm happy you did. I'm a member too.
    Well done for being brave, and take care.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for speaking up - we can't change the way things are unless people are prepared to be honest and open, as that helps to diminish the lack of understanding and hence fear/stigma. For many the pressure of trying to conceal their illness adds to their health issues (witness António Horta-Osório the CE of Lloyds TSB who was eventually signed off for 8 weeks and had to be reassessed for his role prior to his return)- he was clearly ill, but some of the comments posted on websites and forums about his being signed off were vicious. However, it did start some of the necessary debate http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3588677

    ReplyDelete